Friday, June 23, 2006

Churches today...

My mother took me to Sunday School with my sisters every week. We sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "Let There Be Peace On Earth". We drew pictures and listened to stories but my favorite time was when my mother allowed me to join her in the sanctuary. In those days the sanctuary was very quiet. Nobody spoke. It was a place of quiet meditation and prayer and everybody respected that. Women wore dresses and hats and sometimes gloves. The men were all in suits. When I visited my friends Catholic church we always wore something on our heads. We were silent and respectful. The sermons were serious and solemn with the occasional inside joke. But nobody was dancing and we only sang at the end of the service.

I've visited many churches over the years. I went to several Catholic churches, Agape, and a Seventh Day, a Baptist, Trinity and while in Denver, The Mile High Church. It seems that the reverence of the religious experience has changed. Churches have bands and singers and everybody is chatting. People come in wearing flip-flops and shorts, I half expect them to light up a cigarette. The entertainment is great, don't get me wrong. The jazz group in Denver was amazing and the band at Agape really rocks...but that's not why I go to church. I want the holy reverence the old experience gave me. I want to walk in and FEEL it. Hearing the conversations behind me or in front of me....."Jack couldn't come...he's playing golf with his father.".......... "Really? Where are they playing? Tom's playing today too." No, I'm sorry...you should respect the sanctuary as I was taught. Silent prayer and meditation ....communion with God isn't done with chit chat. I guess this is a sign that I am old. I'm old and old fashioned. I want to pray and meditate with God in a silent holy space. I want our voices to be one when we sing the praises of Holiness. I want the chills and shivers of physical resonance when the LOVE is present. I may have to start my own church...lol The church of shut the hell up.

No comments: