Sunday, August 20, 2006

My Beach Town...

I've lived in the South Bay my whole life, with one very short exception. After my ex-husband and I split up, one year after our wedding, I moved to Lake Tahoe. I lived there with our baby girl for about nine months. Since then, I've been a Beach City Chick.

When I say "The South Bay" I mean the south end of the much larger Santa Monica Bay. The southern tip of the bay is the mountainous Palos Verdes Penninsula and below that is Torrance Beach, then Redondo Beach. I've lived here since 1988. Before that I lived in Torrance, Hermosa Beach and a short stint in Lomita.

Like most places, this area has changed an awful lot over the years. Lately there has been a sprouting of million dollar condos replacing the more historic craftsman summer homes built in the twenties and thirties. We also have a spattering of new restaurants in town. Because I used to be in the restaurant business I still have a longing in my heart to open one of my own. It's sad to say this, but my beautiful beach city doesn't have a decent barbecue place. We have 'Chicago For Ribs' but it doesn't measure up to the real barbecue places around the country. If I had the energy I'd take over the now vacant spot on Pacific Coast Hwy where Blockbuster used to be. But the restaurant business is tough. It may have the highest failure rate of any new business. If you make it past the first year you may have a chance but it's also a full time business. Early mornings and late evenings are the norm. Forget holidays with the family or long vacations too. We'll see. I haven't ruled it out.

I have my favorite local restuarants and most of them are within walking distance, which means they are within 2.5 miles from my home. There's Joe's, the quintessential beach city breakfast joint. They are celebrating their 35th anniversary this year. The "John Wayne" is the breakfast specialty here. Take a corn tortilla, pile on some home fries, add two fried eggs, smother it in Spanish Sauce, top it off with cheese and garnish with sausage patties and serve with toast, homemade biscuits or tortillas. They sell tens of thousands of them a year. John Wayne's picture is displayed above the counter, the place of honor in a joint like this. You can get a great meal for less than ten bucks and be in and out in thirty minutes. Some of the waitresses and busboys have been there for as long as I can remember. I can't see eating breakfast anywhere else. It's on Pacific Coast Hwy, right up the hill from King Harbor. On weekdays you'll sit at tables with cops, firefighters, lifeguards, fishermen, surfers, and in the early morning hours it will be full of local building contractors. On weekends ....well, I try not to go on weekends because I don't stand in line and wait for a spot. I just don't.

Around the corner from my place, right on Torrance Blvd, west of Prospect, is El Gringo's. Oh my! I used to spend a lot of time in Baja because my family had a house, on the beach, down there. We ate fish tacos right from the sidewalk vendors and I'm telling you, there is nothing as good as that. El Gringo's fish tacos are a very close second to Mexico's street vendors. They also serve a chicken soup that will cure you of any and all ills. You can get an ice cold beer and watch football too.

I sometimes walk down to the pier, to the landmark restaurant, Tony's. Tony's On The Pier, to be exact. First time I was served an alcoholic drink was at Tony's. I was 17. They had no idea. I always looked and dressed much older, of course. When you order a Mai Tai at Tony's you get to keep the sovenier glass and last year, their 50th in business, the glass had Tony's logo in gold. They serve a Smoked Salmon Chowder that is a meal on it's own, but I never let that stop me from ordering any of their fish entrees. It's one mile west of my place but the walk home is all uphill. It's slow going after a meal at Tony's.

Kincaid's is across from Tony's. I like to sit out on the patio there and listen the free concert on the pier on Saturday afternoons. You can get some very yummy appetizers out there and a decent cocktail. The prices are a bit steep but it is a beautiful place.

The other food on the pier is the El Torito and the new Tony's in between the Hot Dog On A Stick stand and lots of fast food pizza, Chinese food and funnel cake shops. I avoid them because, well, the fat content alone will kill you.

Then we have the Harbor Drive strip. The Crown Plaza, The Charthouse, The Cheescake Factory, Ruby's, all of which fill certain needs. Karen and I do The Charthouse when we are in the mood for caviar and martini's. Well, she drinks the martini's .... I prefer less alcohol. But the salad bar is the best. We were there Wednesday night and our dinner tab for two was $32.oo. Not bad. The bar tab was on Karen. The Cheesecake Factory is reserved for celebrations, birthday's mostly. Ruby's is a hub for the classic car shows on Friday nights and sometimes on weekends. I've seen the parking lot full of shiney old cars and the men who love them. Ruby's is a classic style malt shop with Red vinyl booths and counter stools with chrome trim and the classic burger, fries and shake combo. My favorite is the turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce. The best part of this particular Ruby's is that it's located right on the Seaside Lagoon. That's a plus.

On the other end of town, the south end, and only when I'm ready to indulge in a cheeseburger, I go to Hennessey's Bar and Grill. I can sit outside, in the shade, with Maggie Mae and enjoy lunch and the slow meandering of tourists, locals and strays. The ocean breeze is lovely there and I don't think there's a better burger around, not since Fat Face Fenner's left us.

For vegetarian moods, there's The Green Temple on Catalina and Avenue I, and for pasta there's Buona Sera across the street. Bristol Farms, Trader Joes and Whole Foods are where I go for picnic fare. Pack a bag and walk down to the sand to watch the volleyball players. Last week we had the Los Angeles County Lifeguard Competition. I brought my beach chair, an umbrella and a Ceasar Salad from Bristol Farms. I should have brought binoculars. All the beach cities from Malibu to Long Beach were represented. Ya gotta love lifeguards.

No comments: