Sunday, August 20, 2006

A dinner party for the "Foodies"

I had a small dinner party last night, six of us total. I used my outdoor kitchen set-up for the first time. It worked like a charm, once it was stocked. However, stocking it with ice, liquor, dishes, glasses, soft drinks, the blender, food and and set up the rotisserie takes quite a bit of time and energy. I'll know to make fewer trips from kitchen to deck next time and I've made a note to get bigger trays.

I planned the meal more for convenience of preparation, than for most flavorful, even though all but one of the guests are "Foodies". These are people who have dined in a few of the most lendendary establishments in Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Las Vegas, Miami.... They've even taken cooking classes in Europe. I've been the happy taste tester for some pretty amazing dishes over the years, when hanging out in their kitchens. Still, even knowing that these people have tasted the food at The Commanders Palace in New Orleans and at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City, I managed not to collapse under the pressure of any overreaching expectations. I decided to keep it simple, friendly and most of all, easy.


The plan was to serve Margaritas and iced cold Corona's to drink and Mexican food to eat. I didn't want to be cooking over the barbecue to I decided to marinade a chicken overnight and put it on the rottisserie. I'm loving that feature on the new barbecue. I've even cooked a prime rib roast on that thing and it was done to perfection.

I decided to make appetizers that required the most work but were cooked and built ahead of time. For the organic, health conscious guests I made a 'veggie bouquet' with dips. I saw it on Rachel Ray's cooking show. I filled a vase with baby carrots, celery, green beans, broccoli, European cucumbers, steamed asparagus, radishes, grape tomatoes and green onions. It looked sensational. The sauces were easy-speazy, too.

For the not so health conscious was the 9 layer dip. Oh my! Listen to this. I made refried beans like Grandma used to make. Oh yeah. The real deal. Jalapenos, salt and pepper, onion and fried in bacon fat. That, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how you do the real deal Mexican refried beans. That is layer one. Then, I fried up some chorizo. Uh-huh. Mexican sausage. The heart attack kind. That's layer two. Layer three is homemade quacamole. It's known around town that I do make the best, (she said, modestly). Most people use sour cream for layer four and I do too, but first I stir in a few tablespoons of Lipton's onion soup mix. The fifth layer is my homemade salsa with jalapenos, red onions, Roma tomotoes, cilantro (lots), lemon juice, salt and pepper and a dash of .... my Daddy's secret. Layer number six is shredded Monterrey Jack and sharp cheddar cheeses. Layer Seven is chopped green onions, eight is chopped cilantro and nine is sliced black olives. Serve it up with restaurant style tortilla chips and all is well with the world.

We sat around the fire pit and discussed current affairs, such as they are and brought each other up to date on the comings and goings of our children and now, grandchildren. Tick tock. The conversations were puncuated with the occasional exclamations, "That smells wonderful!" and "What did you put on that chicken?" and "Is the wood in the smoker box mesquite?" Yes it does, yummy stuff, and no, it's apple wood.

I tossed a green salad and carved the chicken at 7:30. I served it all up with some hot tortillas (not homemade : ( and more salsa, sour cream and refried beans. There were some happy mouths around the table even if it wasn't gourmet. We call is Soul Food for Mexicans.

The ocean breeze can get chilly, even in August, so we moved indoors for dessert and coffee. Flan is the dessert that puts all other desserts to shame, if, and only if, it's made with cream cheese.

Oh no....

I have to go. It's 3:30 and I have a party to go to.... Happy birthday Margie. On my way.

No comments: