Sunday, May 20, 2007

My nephew's past life comment

Michael was only 3 years old when I picked him up from pre-school. He and my daughter are four months apart and more like brother and sister than cousins. They went to the same pre-school together and because my sister and I babysat each others children when we had to work, they practically lived together. On this particular day in 1978, as we approached the curb to cross the street to my car, I said, "Let's be safe and hold each others hands. Look both ways."
Michael said, "Yeah because you could get hit by a car. I was hit by a car once." I realize young children have vivid imaginations but he seemed so certain that this was true. I said, "You did? That must have hurt." He thought about it for a few moments as if trying to remember. He said, "No, it didn't hurt. I just floated away."

I got chills. I asked, "Where did you go?"

His answer? "I went to find my mom and dad. They were at a meeting. They couldn't see me."