Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Athenian Secret Society

The U.S. Postal Service delivered a letter to me yesterday from THE ATHENIAN SECRET SOCIETY. It was addressed to me, Elizabeth, and claimed not to be a mass mailing. Throughout the six page letter I was referred to by name and was told that the first class mailing was not a solicitation for money, that, in fact, I was going to get something of immense value, absolutely free and with no strings attached. A secret society has analyzed my profile and I would be unbelievably flattered if I knew who these remarkable individuals were. Apparently they have discovered something special about me and of my special and rare talents and traits. The letter claimed that my hidden talents must be phenomenal for the members of this society to select me. It went on and on for six pages, stroking and prodding and flattering and dangling a carrot. The carrot is a 56 page document with the secret to financial freedom, love, romance, health and blah blah blah. Completely free of charge. It even claimed to swear on The Bible! All I have to do is mail or fax back to them, within five days a signed letter accepting the invitation to join the secret society. If not returned with five days the deal was off, never to be offered again.

My first thought was, if they really knew my profile they would know I'm not into secret societies. They'd also know I already have the secret. Six pages of compliments and promises of fortune, love, health, for FREE no less....that is until you get the 56 pages is my guess. I looked them up....the cost of the full manuscript or book is $150. I wonder how many people are falling for this scam. How much money are these people making by sending out these well crafted letters of invitation, sent by first class mail?

The letter was signed by Kirsten Hart. I hope these people get karma served up real soon. There are millions of lonely misguided people out there in need of the ego strokes this letter was spewing. Individuals with such a hunger for direction, for a secret to pull them up and out of their poverty, loneliness and ill health who would fall for this kind of crapola.