Friday, September 29, 2006

The Marching Bands

There are three high schools within a half a mile from my house. Redondo Beach High School is west of here, West Torrance High is east of me and Bishop Montgomery is to the south. I can walk to any one of them in a matter of a few minutes.
Friday mornings, in preparation for the big football games, the marching bands are out on their respective fields practing. I can hear the drummers pounding, the horns blarring and the cymbals crashing....at 7 o'clock in the morning. It actually makes me smile. I've always loved the sound of a well practiced marching band. My favorite part of our hometown parades every summer was the music. It vibrated through my body like nothing else I had known.
It's a beautiful day here, in Redondo Beach. The skies are blue, the ocean breeze is gentle and the birds haven't left for winter yet. All of this peace will be broken soon when the day workers arrive with their saws, hammers and electric staple guns. We're having all the old wood removed from the outside of our house and replaced with good, strong, fresh wood. Next Wednesday we are having the building fumigated for termites.....I guess the music hasn't effected their ability to multiply.

No comments: