Monday, February 19, 2007

It's My Party and I'll Dance if I Want to....

Today is my birthday. I've decided to be 42 today. It fits me, that number. It feels sexy, fun, energetic and represents the prime of life! Yes, 42 it is.


I used to have a massage client back in the days when I worked at The Manhattan Club For Women. For 17 years I massaged this woman who never seemed to age. Her skin was soft, smooth and taught. Her language was youthful and her posture was straight. I lived vicariously through her weekly stories of her life in publishing and travel. She had many lovers over the years and at some of the high points, she juggled several relationships at once. I was living the quiet life of a single mother who had sworn off men while I raised my daughter, which made her stories so much more exciting. I always looked forward to her appointments for the shear entertainment value of trying to guess her age. She had grown sons, had been widowed for 15 years, had been in business for 40 and none of it added up to a number that fit her energy.

Finally, after many years of trying to calculate her age, she confessed. She was 70 years old. I was shocked. She shared with me, her secret to looking and feeling young. She said, deduct 10 years off of your birthday. If you're turning 50, say to yourself you're turning 40. Think of yourself as 10 years younger, always. It works. Try it. So, I said out loud, I'm 36! I suddenly felt fantastic. Wow. How simple is that? I did feel younger.

So, today I am 42. If you can pick the number, why not the number that feels right? I like it!

Happy Birthday to me.
Happy Birthday to me.
Happy 42nd birthday to me.....eeeeeeee.. Happy Birthday to me.