Friday, January 12, 2007

The Peace Demonstration

Seventy people showed up last night to stand on Harbor Drive, right across the street from the Edison plant that Waylon painted with whales, over a dozen years ago. It was dark and cold and probably not the most visible location to demonstrate. We held candles, flashlights and signs to bring attention to the mistake we feel The United States is on the brink of committing, the escalation of troops in Iraq.

Two years ago, I wrote a post on my blog about how sad it was that we went to war without proper equipment, training or numbers. I suggested we needed a minimum of 30,000 more troops. I got emails and comments that I didn't know what I was talking about. As it turned out, I wasn't too far off. The mistakes Rumsfeld made have put us in a terrible situation. Of course, I believe we had no business going into Iraq in the first place but that horse left the barn a very long time ago. It is what it is. Let's not do what we did in Viet Nam. Everytime things got ugly we sent more troops. How many have to die this time?