Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My daughter is celebrating her 33rd birthday this weekend. My 88 year old mother is celebrating the new high profile toilet I had installed in her bathroom today. Shanon will receive her birthday card tomorrow with a check for her to buy the skin care products she loves from Arbonne. My mother will be thrilled that I am painting her bathroom this weekend. My daughter is expecting me to come to Phoenix again next month to help her with the kids because she now has two jobs outside of the home. One, teaching pre-school, and the other as a server at Red Robin. My mother expects me to sit with her as she watches Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. My daughter would love it if I would build her a new headboard.

I'm at the 'between' stage of my life. Between taking care of my mother, who has dementia and supporting my daughter and grandchildren. I drive or fly between Phoenix and Los Angeles every six weeks or so. I'm beginning to feel the pinch.....the squeeze between two powerful forces....dedicated mother and responsible daughter.

What do I really want? Do I want to sell my condo in Redondo Beach and move to Phoenix to be closer to my babies? Do I want to keep my mother happy in the home she recognizes as long as she still can? Do I move to Denver or Oregon and build a 'green' home with plenty of land for a vegetable garden and chicken coop for fresh eggs and well for spring water? I have some thinking to do.