Sunday, April 23, 2006

I need a badge.


I went to Arico's Hallmark store today to get a card and gift for my nephew and his fiance. My sister is giving them a little engagement party tonight where we will meet the bride's mother. After I found a little something and a little something to wrap it in I paid for it and left the store. I got into my car and noticed that there was a green and white cab sitting out in front, with the door open. A man came running from the store and jumped into the cab. He seemed to be in quite a hurry. A second later a woman came out and said they had just been robbed. Well, I wasn't going to just sit there and let him get away so I put my little Saturn in reverse and chased after him. Of course, it is the one time I was without cell phone. I'm never without my cell phone, that is, until today. I followed him down the street and down a hill to a big boulivard. The cab driver was driving normally but the robber was laying down in the back seat. I wasn't sure what I was going to do or how long I was going to follow him but it didn't take very long before I saw a police car coming down the street from the opposite direction. I waved him down and he made a U turn behind me. The light ahead turned red and the cab stopped behind another car. I pulled up next to him. The police car pulled up behind him. I slowly backed up and told the officer that a store had been robbed and the guy was hiding in the cab in front of him. I wasn't sure if he believed me. He said sarcastically, "A store was robbed?" "Yes!" I said, "and he's hiding in that cab." The light turned green and I pulled in behind the officer's car. I followed him, following the cab, all the way down 190th Street to Hawthorne Blvd. When the cab changed lanes, the cop changed lanes, I changed lanes. We all turned south on Hawthorne Blvd. and I kept wondering why the cop didn't turn on his lights and get this guy. We continued down another mile or so when all of a sudden cop cars came swooping in from all directions. They stopped traffic on Hawthorne Blvd, Del Amo Blvd and blocked driveways from the major stores. I had kept a safe distance but found myself in the middle of their circle. With guns drawn and shouts in the air, "Put your hands up!" I slowly backed my car out of the line of fire. The cab driver got out but the robber held back....cursing his luck, no doubt. They finally got him to get out of the cab but what struck me as rather humorous was all the cell phones and PDA's in the crowd of cars and bystanders. Everyone with camera capabilities had their delight with something to show and tell tomorrow around the office water cooler.

I feel like a hero. I think I want a badge or sumthin.

No comments: