Thursday, February 28, 2008

My apologies to my loyal readers. I've been preoccupied with family issues and illnesses. As you know, Shanon and the kids arrived a week and a half ago, bringing with them the dreaded flu virus. They had just gotten over it and thought they were free of any bugs but soon after their arrival my 88 year old mother came down with it. This flu, if you haven't heard by now, is a violent, thoroughly painful bug. The vomiting is intense and rib breaking, the diarrhea is explosive and constant, the nausea is unrelenting and sleep depriving, the bone pains are piercing and tear inducing and the weakness is overwhelming. It lasts for several days but feels like several weeks. Shanon arrived on Monday, mother got sick on Thursday, the big party was Saturday and Sunday I had the beginning symptoms. I've nicknamed the flu, "Just Put A Bullet In My Head Flu". I've never, ever, ever been so sick in my life.

It's Thursday and I, or I should say, "we" were supposed to be in Phoenix today. I had to postpone the drive by an extra day just to get my land legs back.

I feel like my whole life was put on hold this week. I feel like I'm rising up from the depths of a dark swamp. Is there still life on this planet? Did anything happen in my absence? Did aliens invade or did the war end? I guess not.