Monday, October 16, 2006

Los Angeles to Phoenix in 5.5 hours.

When the phone rang last Monday I had been looking at my schedule and planning out my week. I had clients to see, a class to plan, papers to write, and a sick dog to heal. My week was going to be a busy one. All of that changed with one conversation. My daughter's voice was on the other end. "Mom?"

In July she called right after I got back from a visit to her home in Arizona. She was in tears. Her doctors office called with the results of a blood test she had taken early in her pregnancy. It was positive for Downs Syndrome. Before I had a chance to even think about it I said, "Well that's not true." I knew it wasn't true. I could feel it. She asked if I was just saying that to make her feel better or did I 'see' it. I didn't even have to look. I just knew. She calmed down and told me that the doctor had said these test sometimes result in false positve readings. They intended to give her an ultra-sound but not for a few weeks. I couldn't let her sit out there and worry about it so I got back into my car and drove back to Phoenix to give her some support. I stayed a week and played with Michael, my grandson, and cooked her favorite soups and stews and salads. She was fine when I left. After the ultra-sound it was clear that the baby does not have Downs. Three weeks of waiting, three weeks of worry, three weeks of fear take a toll on a woman and her fetus. It turns out that the blood test gives false positives more often than not. Why do they do that? Beats me.

Her voice last Monday night had a tone I recognized. It was tainted with worry. "I think I might be in labor." WHAT? Two and a half months early? She was in bed but in pain and it was low and somewhat constant. Danny was home and Michael was already in bed asleep. After we talked for a few minutes she decided to go to the hospital. I decided to pack.


Tuesday morning she called to tell me that she was home but still in pain. They had examined her and determined she was not dialated and not in labor. The baby was fine and so they sent her home. However, when she spoke to her doctor the next morning he sent her back to the hospital. I was in my car and driving within an hour. My schedule for the week was thrown out the window. Appointments were re-scheduled and plans put on hold. I made the drive in 5.5 hours. Not bad.

It turns out that she was dehydrated and the prescription for that is bed rest and lots of fluids. So, I took care of Michael and her laundry and shopping and cooking while constantly checking her fluids. The baby's room is painted and her closet is full of clothes. I mean FULL. She has five bathing suits, four pairs of shoes, a dozen pairs of socks and booties and loads of pj's. She has more outfits than I do. This little baby will be styling for sure.

Michael and I played for hours everyday. We read books and told stories and took the dog for a walk. He caught a grasshopper. and held it in his hand for the longest time. He put in on his finger, on is arm, on his shirt and decided he loved it and wanted to take it home. He petted it and whispered to it. "I'm so proud of myself for holding this grasshopper."

I had a great visit and Shanon got some much needed rest. I stayed until Sunday morning when Danny's father, Papu, was back in town. He's great with Michael.

So, all is well in Phoenix now and I'm catching up with clients and class plans. I drive back to Phoenix on Friday then fly to Denver for a week of readings and the "Women, Power and Wisdom" class. I'll be back in Phoenix for Halloween. I wouldn't miss him in his lions costume for nothin'.

Oh yeah...the baby names. On top of the list of favorites was Sophia but Danny used his veto on that one. Next was Isabella but it turns out that it's too trendy. Now the favorite is Marlie. Still looking for a middle name to go with it.

No comments: